Creating Connection: Workshop for couples
Learn the most successful relationship tools that stop pointless arguments and bring you closer.
Next Workshop: February 22-23
Sign up below for workshop information.
Do you find yourself wishing for a deeper connection with your partner? Difficulties in any relationship can take a number of forms.
- You’ve started keeping complaints or problems to yourself, because talking just seems to make things worse
- The FUN has left; it’s hard to remember when you relaxed and laughed together
- You’re married to one of those Quiet people, who seems to have no feelings. Are your requests for closeness ignored?
- Your arguments have grown so bitter that now you’re avoiding each other. There are many ways to handle conflict that feel better and lead to closeness, not distance.
- There has been an affair, emotional or sexual. Many marriages can be restored.
You’re in the right place. Find out about a very powerful, step-by-step approach to forming deep trust and understanding with your partner.
Creating Connection, from Dr. Sue Johnson’s Hold Me Tight Program
Hold Me Tight is a 16-hour educational program and book based on the highly successfully Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy which help couples strengthen their relational bonds. The outstanding success rate of this approach as been heralded in scientific journals, the New York Times and Time magazine.
You learn how to:
- Break the cycles of frustration and loneliness in your relationship
- Make sense of your own emotions
- Learn about your partner’s inner world
- Create lasting trust and intimacy
- Forgive injuries that destroy trust and safety
- Deepen your romantic/sexual connection
The Healing Process
Our workshop takes you through seven transforming conversations that use the defining moments in love relationships to foster secure and lasting bonds:
- Recognizing Demon Dialogues—Discover what your partner is really trying to say.
- Finding the Raw Spots—Look into the feelings underneath the flash reactions.
- Revisiting a Rocky Moment—Repair rifts and build emotional safety.
- Hold Me Tight—Move into greater accessibility, responsiveness, and engagement.
- Forgiving Injuries—Discover how to find and offer forgiveness.
- Bonding through Sex and Touch—Discover how emotional connection creates great sex.
- Keeping Your Love Alive—Become mindful about maintaining connection.
How to Get Started
Contact us to find out how we can help you make the changes you want to see in your relationship.
Call us at 703-768-6240 — or get in touch easily here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who Is This For?
This workshop is for:
- Couples who feel trapped in loops of disconnection or arguments, whether it’s early in the relationship or after years together
- Same-sex couples who want to heal rifts or foster more secure and deeper bonds
- Singles who want to build healthier, emotionally responsive relationships
For serious distress such as domestic violence, substance abuse or severe mental illness, other interventions should come first.
This workshop is a great start to marriage or a life-time commitment, and a useful supplement to on-going couple therapy.
What Happens During Our Time Together?
In addition to practice with your partner and reading the text, you will see video examples of how other real couples learned to step out of negative cycles and create a lifetime of love. You will have support from us as you try out new conversations.
When Does It Meet?
Several weekends during the year.
What are the Fees?
Fees are determined for each workshop. Fees include materials, Facilitator instruction, DVD presentations and couples exercises (done in private and with therapeutic support) Watch for early bird opportunities to sign up at a special rate. Payment plans may be available.
Where Is the Workshop?
2560 Huntington Ave, Alexandria VA, 22303 Suite 302
What size is the group?
Group size minimum is 4 couples, and if bigger, for every 4 couples there is at least one facilitator available to help through stuck points.
What About Privacy?
It’s up to you and your partner to share as little or as much as you wish. Hearing from other couples is helpful, and sharing some is helpful to the group as well. We remind everyone that what is shared in our time together should not be discussed outside of our group. Your own exchanges with your partner are done separately in break out groups, with complete privacy.
What Do We Need To Prepare?
Read the first four chapters in Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love, by Dr. Sue Johnson
Can this Help Unmarried or Engaged Couples?
Special Program for Couples Preparing for Marriage:
After learning how to have these deeper, more satisfying conversations, we offer an evening group reviewing inventories as a couple, and practicing Hold Me Tight conversations on one issue. Additional fee of $70 per couple
How to Get Started
Contact us to find out how we can help you make the changes you want to see in your relationship.Call us at 703-768-6240 — or get in touch easily on our contact page.
What Others Say About This Program
A truly revolutionary, breakthrough book…the most important, valuable book for couples published in the 21st century.
—Barry McCarthy, Ph.D., author of Getting it Right the First Time
Sue Johnson [is] the most original contributor to couples therapy to come along in the last 30 years. This book will touch your heart, stimulate your mind, and give you practical strategies for improving your marriage. It will be an instant classic.
—William J. Doherty, Ph.D. author of Take Back Your Marriage
Wonderful!…Hold Me Tight blends the best in research findings with practical suggestions from a caring and compassionate clinician. This fabulous book will be of great benefit…to couples trying to find their way to better communication and deeper, more fulfilling ways of being with each other. Bravo!
—Daniel J. Siegel, M.D., author of Parenting from the Inside Out
A much needed message to all couples and therapists and I recommend it to all.
—Harville Hendrix, Ph.D., author of Getting the Love You Want and Receiving Love
How To Join
Call us at 703-768-6240 — or get in touch right here.
Find Out When New Workshops Are Forming
No obligation – sign up for free information here —